Pages

Friday, January 1, 2010

Bah Humbug!

I must confess that I had a bad attitude this Christmas. It didn't start that way. I was very excited about all of the fun festivities and, of course, all of the fun that Nate would have. Then three weeks ago Nate started running a fever. I wasn't concerned the first day because he was acting pretty normal and his fever was staying pretty low. The next day I became concerned when his fever increased and he begin to act sick. We actually had to start "religiously" alternating Tylenol and Motrin every three hours to keep his fever down. By the third day, he was really pitiful. I was really worried about him as we headed to the doctor's office. I had never seen him that sick and he's had some pretty nasty bugs. Thankfully he didn't have the flu, but Dr. Johnson did hear a "crackle" in his left lung. She couldn't determine exactly if he had pneumonia or bronchitis, but she did start him on antibiotics and breathing treatments. Thankfully that day was his worst day and he was almost back to normal the next day and has been feeling great since then. We are still having to do breathing treatments, but we should finish those up in a couple of days.

Just about the time that Nate started getting better, Darren and I started getting sick. It just seemed like a cold and I thought we would feel bad for a three or four days and be feeling fine by Christmas. Well, that's exactly what happened...for Darren. I began to feel worse and developed a pretty bad sinus infection. My face and my head have never hurt so bad. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day actually ended up being the days I felt the worst. I finally started getting better on Saturday and then Sunday I woke up with an ear infection. This is actually my third ear infection since September. I think I now qualify for tubes. :) I was finally able to go to the doctor on Monday and get some antibiotics and ear drops. Thankfully I think I am almost completely well, but it has been a rough three weeks. I am looking forward to a healthy and uneventful start to the new year!

Darren did a great job of helping to take care of me and Nate while we were sick. He did some research about sinus infections and made me put my face over hot steamy water several times a day. It actually helped a lot, but Darren got a big kick out of me hunkered down over a coffee cup with a towel over my head. He took this picture without me knowing it. Doesn't it look like fun?

No comments: