Pages

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Rocket City Weekend

We visited Huntsville for Nate's 8th birthday.  It was a surprise trip for him.  He knew we were going somewhere, but not the exact destination.  Our first stop was the Space and Rocket Center.



I think Darren was having more fun  than the kids. 






This is one of my favorites from the weekend.





Day one was a success!  The space and rocket center was a first for me and Nate.  There is so much to do and see there and we didn't see everything.  We did squeeze in an IMAX movie about telescopes that see WAY out in space.  Funny moment after the movie...I was changing Cora's diaper while sitting on a bench.  She was in my lap and it was a quick wet diaper change.  She started peeing while I was changing her!  Pee shot up and got on me and the bench.  She hadn't done that in months and it was totally unexpected.  It was hilarious.  Thankfully the bench was plastic and easy for me to clean really well.   

That night we enjoyed some pizza and gelato at Sam and Greg's in downtown Huntsville.  A friend recommended it and I'm glad she did.  It was delicious.  

We started day two at the Huntsville Botanical Gardens.  They had a cool traveling Lego display that we knew Nate would enjoy.  



I've only been to Birmingham Botanical Gardens and there's not much to see and do there, except flowers.  I was expecting this to be the same.  I thought we would zip in and see the Legos and be out of there in an hour or so.  I was wrong.  Along the Lego exhibit route there were all kinds of stops for kids to play. 






I think the buffalo was my favorite. 




This girl was so sweet and easy, except at night. Nate always slept in a pack n play easily, but not this girl.  Once she went to sleep, she slept well thankfully. 



This was another cool stop along the way.  They have a water play area that I knew nothing about.  Thankfully, I had extra clothes for Nate so he just got wet in his clothes.  He could have stayed there for hours.  Nate played and we tried to cool off on this bench in the shade.  It was HOT.  



We left Botanical Gardens and headed to Huntsville's science center.  It is very small compared to McWane. They make good use of the small space because we ended up being there several hours.  It wasn't crowded and Nate got to do everything he wanted, including petting a snake.  


This was such a fun, quick trip.  Most importantly, Nate loved it and thought it was a great way to celebrate his birthday.

No comments: