You will notice a new button on my side bar. It's for Compassion International. Compassion is a non-profit "Christian child sponsorship organization that exists as an advocate for children, releasing them from spiritual, economic, social and physical poverty and enabling them to become responsible, fulfilled Christian adults." They are a very reputable organization. Over 80% of your monthly sponsorship fee goes to provide for the child you sponsor.
We have been sponsoring a beautiful little girl, Ledet, for over a year now. It was about 18 months ago when God began to show me the enormous amount of scripture concerning caring for the poor, oppressed, orphans and widows. I remember sitting on my front porch reading James and thinking that I didn't know any poor people. BUT, I had also never asked God to open my eyes to the poor around me and around the world. So, that afternoon I prayed that God would begin to open my eyes...be less focused on myself and my wants and instead be focused on the needs of others. This was a scary prayer for me. I thought what if God tells me to start giving up things that I really like? What if He asks me to get out of my comfort zone?
Since that prayer (and many more) God has changed my heart in ways that I NEVER could have imagined in my wildest dreams. Yes, He has asked me to give up things that I really like and yes, He has asked me to get out of my comfort zone. BUT, the best part is that He has changed my heart toward things and stuff and giving up certain things (that I used to think that I just HAD to have) hasn't been that big of a struggle. I now have a different view of things and stuff. They are truly just things and stuff, instead of the treasured possessions they used to be. I do have moments where my flesh creeps in and I lose perspective, but God is faithful when I am not and restores my focus. Do you know how huge this is? God changed my heart! That's so exciting to me and I'm excited to see how he is going to continue to change my heart.
Back to Compassion. I encourage your family to consider sponsoring a child. If you have children, let them help choose which child to sponsor. You can choose by country or gender or age. You can even enter a specific birth date and choose a child that way. It has been a wonderful opportunity for us to teach Nate the importance of sharing our blessings with others. The cost is $38.00 a month. I know the economy is bad right now and you may feel like this is something that is not in your budget. If so, get creative. Your family and another family or several families could work together to sponsor one child. Or, you might give up eating out a couple of times a month. The blessings of knowing that you are helping a hungry or sick child (and their family) have adequate nutrition, medical care, education and access to the Gospel will greatly outweigh the sacrifice.
Summertime Sweets
3 weeks ago
No comments:
Post a Comment