Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Granny and Papaw Wright

My grandmother (my mother's mother) passed away on February 21st. She was my last living grandparent. Her health had been declining the past couple of years and she was pretty much home bound, but it was still very surprising. Nate loved going to her house and drinking white grape/peach juice and eating lemon cookies. My grandmother always made sure that she had these for Nate.
Her passing brought up all kinds of great memories of my childhood. My grandparents lived in Arkansas most of my childhood. My family would go visit them several times a year. I loved going to their house. Granny and Papaw always spoiled Jill and me. Every summer I would go stay two weeks with them by myself and I don't ever remember getting homesick. We would do all kinds of fun things. Granny and I would sew. Papaw would take me to the swimming pool. Papaw would take me driving on a dirt road near their house. There was an old home place on that road and in the spring there would be what seemed like thousands of daffodils blooming around that old house. It was beautiful and I will never forget it. I am so thankful that Nate has grandparents that love him and are creating fun memories that he will always cherish.
We went to Arkansas for the funeral. I had not been to Batesville since my grandfather passed over 10 years ago. It was interesting to see what had changed and what had stayed the same. It was also sad because more than likely, I probably won't ever be back in Batesville and I have so many fond memories there.
The house my grandparents lived in.
Batesville is the second oldest city in Arkansas.
The dirt road where Papaw and I use to drive.
My mother has one brother. He has two sons and they all live in Missouri. We only see them every few years and not all at one time. This is the first time we had all been together since my grandfather's funeral.

1 comment:

Raegan & Caleb said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your Grandmothers passing.